Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Facing Facebook

Well, I now feel that I have arrived. I have a Facebook account! It was fun searching for old classmates and browsing the KRL page. I was a little unclear as to how this could be useful for libraries but after reading the article by Meredith Farkas I can see its merits. In a way the wiki is a way of communicating internal information and Facebook is a way to stay in touch within our system and with the public. I think that it really will help personalize the library to our community to see and hear from actual individuals within the library. I thought the idea that Meredith Farkas had about libraries offering classes on My Space and Facebook for parents is an excellent idea!! I think there are a lot of parents out there that want to be informed about how these websites work in order to be able to moniter their kids activity but don't know where to start. I also like how some libraries where using their Facebook account as a way for patrons to place requests for materials. The less paper we have to handle the better! I do agree with Farkas that we need to be intentional about our Facebook page and make it a useful tool for us and our patrons. It seems like our page is working great already!

No comments: