Thursday, February 7, 2008

Exploring the world of the Wiki

I must say that I found the wiki information very interesting. I didn't realize that it could be used for all sorts of things besides a wikkipedia type of resource. I appreciated the screencast on the KRL wikki. It was very informative and well done. I browsed Nancy Pearl's, Book Lust Wiki and found lots of fun things on there. However, when I used France as a search term a lot of my results were people's names. I found the Stevens County Wiki very intriguing. I looked at a book list of books pertaining to the northwest for kids and I loved being able to see the book summary and then click on the title and see if it was available at the library. Brilliant! I am intrigued by the implications that the KRL wiki could have for technical services. We have forms, templates and instructions that we are always editing and referencing. Some of these are strictly for inter department use while others need to be shared files that branches can access but not edit. We will have to explore the possibilities. I am most excited about doing a wiki like Stevens County. I think this would be an excellent way for our patrons to feel more invested in the library by becoming part of an online community. We could also offer information that would simply provide good customer service to our patrons like genre or age specific reading lists. We could even eventually have an RSS feed available for patrons to subscribe to that talks about news connected with the library like fine policies or library events. The possibilities are really endless! I am excited to see how we decide to utilize Wikis at KRL. Back to my corner...

No comments: